WHO CAN ENTER
There are two divisions:
- High School Students : Youth enrolled in BC grades 8 through 12, or the equivalent such home school, in the current calendar year.
- Young Adults: Open to people ages 18 – 24 not currently enrolled in a professional photography program. If you are currently enrolled in a photography school, we invite you to enter the PPOC-BC Image Competition.
HOW TO ENTER
All submissions are digital and each youth can enter up to two images. There is no charge for BC high school students and young adults to enter the contest. The contest entry form must be completed, signed, scanned and returned along with the images by email to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to be considered for judging.
Entries will be accepted between June 9-October 9, 2019 (no later than 11:59pm PST).
Images must fall into 1 or 2 of the following categories:
1–Buildings (whole or partial buildings/structures)
2–People (friends, family, children)
3–Nature (flowers, mountains, water, trees)
4-Animal (pets, wild animals, birds, bugs)
5-Creative (this is wide open, have fun)
Digital files may be vertical or horizontal, and must be sized at 8×12 inches (3600 x 2400 pixels) in JPEG format at 300 dpi . No other sizes will be accepted. Editing is allowed but TEXT, such as a signature, that could identify the name of the maker is NOT permitted on the image.
ALL images MUST have a unique title and the title must appear in the file name. “Untitled” or “No Title” is not acceptable and images so entered will be rejected and will NOT be judged. It is important that your images are listed on the entry form with the category number, exact title and your last name for positive identification.
Category#_Title_YourLastName.jpg for example: 3_LilyDance_Smith.jpg
If there are person(s) in the image(s) and they are recognizable they must complete and sign the Model Release page of the Contest Entry Form. It must also be signed by the photographer and have parental consent if the model is 18 years of age or younger. A model release is available as part of the Entry Form.
Images will be scored on Impact, Composition, Creativity and Overall Story-telling. Judges will pick the top 20 images in each division (High School and Young Adult) then one grand prize winner will be selected from each division. The decision of the judges shall be final. The Youth Contest Coordinator will have the authority to decide on any question not specifically covered by these rules. All entries will be handled with the utmost professional care and respect for the maker but PPOC-BC and the Youth Contest Coordinator assume no liability for loss of or damage to entries while in its custody, on exhibition or in transit.
The top 20 images will be printed and exhibited in the PHOTOGraphie Festival Gallery display. All finalists will receive:
- Two tickets to the Gallery Exhibition Opening Night and Kick-off Speaker – November 1, 2019
- Four tickets to the Awards Ceremony – November 2, 2019
- A finalist certificate presented at the PHOTOGraphie Awards Ceremony
- A $50 gift certificate from Pix Portal
- Each finalist’s image will be printed on 8×12 Metal printed by Pix Portal and hung at the Image Exhibition at UBC Robson Square from November 1-3, 2019. Finalist’s may take their images home at the end of the weekend.
- One of the 10 finalists in each division will be the Grand Prize winner of their division and will receive a camera and lens presented at the Awards Ceremony.
Awards are non- transferable and have no cash alternative.
To put your name on the email notification list send your name, city and school details to: email@example.com